Robert D. Steele
Tay Joo Hwa
Vinya S. Ariyaratne
| Research | Publications
Dr Sivanappan Kumar
Energy; School of Environment, Resources and Development
Areas of Expertise (Keywords)
Rational Use of Energy
Ph. D. Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France
M. Eng. Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
B. Engg. (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering, University of Madras, India.
1990-95 : Reader, School of Energy Environment and Natural Resources,
Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India.
1995-96 : Assistant Professor, Energy Program, Asian Institute of Technology,
1996- present : Associate Professor, Energy Program, Asian Institute
of Technology, Thailand.
Present Research Involvements
Renewable Energy Technologies in Asia: A Regional Research and Dissemination
Small and Medium Industries in Asia: Energy, Environment and Climate
A study on chemical heat pumps.
Solar Energy (Radiation, Thermal and Photovoltaics)
· A. Leon, S. Kumar and S.C. Bhattacharya, A comprehensive procedure
to evaluate solar drying systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,
Vol. 6, No. 4, 367-393, August 2002.
· S. Kumar, C. Visvanathan, R. Kannan and A.B. Hererra, Networking
to promote Energy Efficient and Environmentally Sound Technologies (E3ST)
in Small and Medium scale industries (SMI), International Journal of
Global Energy Issues, Vol. 17, No. 3, 171-188, 2002.
· Komkrit Chuawittayawuth and S. Kumar ,"Experimental investigation
of temperature and flow distribution in a thermosyphon solar water heating
system, Renewable Energy - An International Journal, Vol. 26, Issue
3, 431-448, 2002.
· M. Ibrahim, M. Anizumman, S. Kumar and S.C. Bhattacharya, '
Demonstration of a PV micro utility system for rural electrification',
Solar Energy, Vol. 72, No. 6, pp 521-530, 2002.
· D. Barua, T. Urmee, S. Kumar and S. C. Bhattacharya (2001),
A photovoltaic solar home dissemination model, "Progress in Photovoltaics
Research and Applications", 9, 313- 322, 2001.
· W. Wongsuwan, S. Kumar, P. Neveu and F. Meunier (2001), "A
critical review of chemical heat pump technology and applications",
Applied Thermal Engineering, 21, 15, 1489 - 1519, 2001.
· Architrandi Priambodo and S. Kumar, "Energy Use and Carbon
Dioxide Emission of Indonesian Small and Medium Scale Industries"
Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 42, 11, Jul-2001, 1335-1348,
· Yossanai Sriuthaisiriwong and S. Kumar," Rural electrification
using photovoltaic battery charging stations: A performance study in
Northern Thailand", Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications,
9, 3, 223-234, 2001.
· G.A. Mastekbayova and S. Kumar (2000), Effect of dust on the
transmittance of low density polyethylene in a tropical climate, Solar
Energy, Vol. 68, No. 2, 135 - 141, February 2000.
· W. Mooksuwan and S. Kumar (2000), A study on 2 propanol/acetone/hydrogen
chemical heat pump: Endothermic de hydrogenation of 2 propanol"
International Journal of Energy Research, 24, 1109 - 1122, 2000.
· S. Kumar and C. Visvanathan (2000), "Capacity for Reducing
the Environmental Impacts of Energy Consumption: Role of Energy Efficiency
in Cleaner Production" UNEP Industry and Environment, Vol. 23,
No. 3, July - September 2000, p.52-56, 2000.
· C. Visvanathan and S. Kumar (1999), 'Strategies for Implementing
Cleaner Production in Asian Small and Medium Industries', Journal of
Cleaner Production, Vol. 7, 127-134, 1999.
· C. Visvanathan, S. Kumar and others, Desiccated Coconut Sector,
Small and Medium scale Industries in Asia: Energy and Environment, ISBN
974-8208-47-8, RERIC, Thailand, 2002 (73 pages).
· S. Kumar, C. Visvanathan and Architrandi Priambodo, Energy
and Environmental indicators in the Thai textile industry, Bangkok,
SERD, AIT, Thailand, 1999 (26 pages).
· S.C. Bhattacharya and S. Kumar (Editors), 'Proceedings of the
International Senior Executive Seminar on Renewable Energy : Education
and Training', Bangkok, Thailand, 1999.
· Member, International Solar Energy Society (ISES), Germany.
· Senior Member, Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), USA.
· Member, Institution of Engineers (India).
· Program Research Fellow, International Centre for Theoretical
Physics (ICTP) Program for Training and Research in Italian Laboratories
· Secretary/Treasurer, International Association of Solar Energy
Education (IASEE) (1996-1999).
· Recipient of the "Excellence in Research" award in
recognition of outstanding research performance in the field of energy
technology, by SERD, August 1999.
· Recipient of the Research Award - 2000 in recognition of outstanding
research performance in the field of energy technology, by SERD, August
2000. For more details, go to http://www.asdu.ait.ac.th/faculty/FacultyByID.cfm?FacultyID=136