Robert D. Steele
Tay Joo Hwa
Vinya S. Ariyaratne
Professor Lex Brown
| Research Interests | Current
Research | Publications|
Civil, MUrbStud, PhD (Qld), MPIA, MEIA, MIAIA,MAAS Dean Faculty of Environmental
Sciences Griffith University Email: Lex.Brown@griffith.edu.au
Ph: (07) 3875 7430
Fax: (07) 3875 5282
· Environmental assessment and planning
· Project environmental appraisal
· Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Strategic Environmental
· Environmental noise
· International development
· Environment and development
· Human perception of environment.
Current Research Projects and International
· Integrating environmental modelling into transport travel demand
modelling (ARC Collaborative)
· Environmental appraisal in international development cooperation
(with UNDP and the Government of the Netherlands)
· Effectiveness and efficiency in EIA
· Principles and practices of SEA, particularly in international
· Land and resource planning under native title
· Environment and development in South Africa (IDP International
Links Programme with Universities of Cape Town, Durban-Westville and
Peninsula Technikon in South Africa)
· Human perception of visual air quality
· AFFUM, J.K., BROWN, A.L. and CHAN, A. Predicting and managing
traffic-induced air pollution levels as part of the road transport planning
process: The TRAEMS approach. Submitted for publication in Science of
the Total Environment, September 1999.
· BROWN, A.L. and AFFUM, J.K. A GIS-based environmental modelling
system for transport planners. Accepted for publication in Computers,
Environment & Urban Systems (awaiting publication, submitted July
· NITZ, T. and BROWN, A.L. (2001) SEA must learn how policy-making
works. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 3(3),
· BROWN, A.L. (2001) Overview of research on the effects of noise
on wildlife. Terra Borealis, No 2, 10-14.
· BROWN, A.L. (2001) The response of seabirds to simulated acoustic
and visual aircraft stimulus. Terra Borealis, No 2, 56-59.
· BROWN, A.L. and NITZ, T. Applying SEA to policy-making: the
policy cycle model and the Queensland Policy Handbook. To be published
as chapter in Marsden, S. and Dovers, S. SEA in Australia (submitted
· BROWN, A.L. (2000). Integrating crosscutting issues in the
Environmental Assessment of Development Assistance Projects. In Lee,
N. and Kirkpatrick, C. (eds) Sustainable Development and Integrated
Appraisal in a Developing World, Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, 34-45.
· BROWN, A.L. (2000). SEA experience in development assistance
using the Environmental Overview. In Partidario, M.R. and Clark, R.
(eds) Perspectives on Strategic Environmental Assessment. Lewis Publishers:
Boco Rator, 131-140.
· AFFUM, J.K. and BROWN, A.L. (1999). A GIS-based method for
estimating the environmental impacts of road traffic. Journal of Eastern
Asian Society for Transportation Studies; 3(1), 139-150.
· THERIVEL, R. & BROWN,A.L. (1999). Methods of Strategic
Environmental Assessment. In Petts, J. (ed) The Handbook of Environmental
Impact Assessment; Vol 1, Blackwell Science: Oxford, 441-464.
· BROWN, A.L. and RICHARDSON, C.M. (1998) A comprehensive noise
management strategy for an urbanised river catchment. Journal of Environmental
Planning and Management; 41(3), 299-312.
· BROWN, A.L. Experience in SEA in the UNDP Environmental Management
Guidelines. Paper in the Proceedings of "Environmental Impact Assessment
for the 21st Century". The University of Adelaide and The British
Council (in press) (1997).
· BROWN, McDONALD & O'KEEFE. The Role of Development Control
Plans in the Queensland Planning System. (in preparation).
· BROWN, A.L. Effectively integrating the EIA process in the
evolution of sustainable projects: Decision-scoping. Proceedings of
NSW Dept of Urban Affairs and Planning, EIA Forum: Towards the next
generation of EIS. Sydney, April, 1997. (proceedings in press).
· BROWN, A.L. (1997) Further developments of the Environmental
Overview as a Strategic Environmental Assessment tool in Development
Assistance. International Association of Impact Assessment 17th Annual
Meeting, May 28-31, 1997, p12. (abstract)
· LAM, K.C. and BROWN, A.L. (1997) EIA in HK: effective but limited.
Asian Journal of Environmental Management. 5(1), 51-66.
· LANE, M., BROWN, A.L., CHASE, A. (1997) Land and resource planning
under Native Title: towards an initial model. Environmental and Planning
Law Journal. 14(4), 249-258.
· BROWN, A.L. and CLARKE, S. (1997) The Employability of Environmental
Science Graduates in Australia. The Environmentalist, 17 (1), 45-55.
· BROWN, A.L. (1997) The Environmental Overview in development
project formulation. Impact Assessment, 15(1), 73-88.
· BROWN, A.L. (1996) Changing the Culture of Environmental Impact
Assessment. Invited paper to the National Environmental Law Association
Conference. Courting the Environment: Environmental Management and the
Law. pp1.1.1-4.1.7. Coolum.
· LOSEE, S.P. and BROWN, A.L. (1996) The practicality of combining
travel forecasting and environmental modelling: a survey of transport
planners. Transport Engineering in Australia. 2 (2), 24-29.
· BROWN, A.L. (1996) Retooling tired old EIA. Queensland Environmental
Practice Reporter 2(10), 182-188.
· LOSEE, S.P. and BROWN, A.L. (1996) Exploiting GIS technology
to incorporate environmental modelling in travel forecasting. Proc 18th
ARRB Transport Research Conference. Christchurch, NZ, Vol 6 297-313
· LOSEE, S.P. and BROWN, A.L. (1996) Using Structural Systems
Analysis to design an integrated system for transport planning and environmental
Analysis. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 8(2), 129-144.
· BROWN, A.L. and HILL, R.C. (1995) Decision-scoping: making
environmental assessment learn how the design process works. Project
Appraisal, 10 (4), 223 - 232.
· BROWN, A.L. and LOW CHOY, D. (1995) Structuring a new degree
in environmental planning. Sydney Vision, UTS Papers in Planning No.
4 (August), 155-62.
· BROWN, A.L. and McDONALD, G.T. (1995) From Environmental Impact
Assessment to environmental design and planning. Australian Journal
of Environmental Management, 2(2) 65-77.
· O'KEEFE, M.J., McDONALD, G.T. and BROWN, A.L. (1995) Development
Control Plans in Queensland 1990-1994. (Part 2) Queensland Planner,
35 (2) 12-21.
· McDONALD, G.T. and BROWN, A.L. (1995) Going beyond EIA: Environmental
input to planning and design. EIA Review, 15(6), 483-495.
· O'KEEFE, M.J., McDONALD, G.T. and BROWN, A.L. (1995) Development
Control Plans in Queensland 1990-1994 (Part I). Queensland Planner,
35 (1) 21-27.
· KRAUSE, J. and BROWN, A.L. (1994) How noisy are our trucks?
Peak noise levels of heavy vehicles in service in Australia. Proc. 17th
Australian Road Research Board Conf. 17 (7), 169-176.
· BROWN, A.L., and LAM, K.C. (1994) Can I play on the road Mum?
- Traffic and homes in urban Australia. Road and Transport Research
· BROWN, A.L. (1994) Exposure of the Australian population to
road traffic noise. Applied Acoustics, 43 (2) 169-176.
· BROWN, A.L. and RUTHERFORD, S. (1994) Using the sound of water
in the city. Landscape Australia 2, 103-107.
· BROWN, A.L. and BURGESS, M.A. (1994) Effect of slits on the
performance of roadside timber barriers. Acoustics Australia, 22(2),
· BROWN, A.L. and McDONALD, G.T. (1991) Beyond EIA: Improving
environmental input to planning and design. Queensland Planner 33(2),
· DANIELS, P. and BROWN, L. (1991). Queensland goes green: Pro-environmental
attitudes dominate in the Sunshine State. Social Alternatives 10(1),
· BROWN, A.L., HINDMARSH, R.A. and McDONALD, G.T. (1991). Environmental
assessment procedures and issues in the Pacific Basin - Southeast Asia
Region. Environment Impact Assessment Review 11, 143-156.
· BROWN, A.L. and EDDINGTON, N.J. (1990). Noise limits, controls
and legislation in the Asia-Pacific Region. Asian Environment 12(3),
· BROWN, A.L. and PATTERSON, N.S. (1990). Noise assessment when
it matters: environmental evaluation integrated with road network planning.
Proc. 15th Australian Road Research Board Conf. 15(7), 61-77. (Paper
awarded the Director's Prize.)
· BROWN, A.L. and McDONALD, G.T. (1990). Development Control
Plans in Queensland to 1989. Queensland Planner 30(1), 14-22.
· BROWN, A.L. (1990). Environmental Impact Assessment in a development
context. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 10, 135-143.
· McDONALD, G.T. and BROWN, A.L. (1990). Planning and management
processes and environmental assessment. Impact Assessment Bulletin 8,
· BROWN, A.L. (1990) Measuring the effect of aircraft noise on
seabirds. Environment International 16, 587-592.
Last updated: 22 March 2002
For more details , go to