At the national scale, the study revealed the usefulness of NOAA AVHRR data in the assessment of landcover information. This information when compared to historic landcover data, became useful to detect changes in landuse pattern, such as increase in the extent of agricultural lands or decrease in forest areas. It can thus be used as a baseline data for future monitoring. As for the future monitoring of landcover, one would find cloud free NOAA AVHRR LAC data as far back as say, 1984-85 when NOAA-9 was launched. Latest data pertaining to say, 1996 would give access not only to the up-to-date landcover status, it will also help in ascertaining a trend of the changing landcover scenario over a fairly large period of time.
The report is heavily based on the following reports.
1. Anon. 1993-94. Agricultural Statistics of Pakistan.
2. Anon. 1984. Pakistan Statistical Year Book. Federal Bureau of Statistics, Karachi, Pakistan.
3. Anon. 1990. Pakistan Demographic Survey. Federal Bureau of Statistics, Karachi, Pakistan.
4. Anon. 1993. Crops Area Production (by Districts); 1989-90 to 1991-92. Printing Corporation of Pakistan Press, Islamabad, Pakistan.
5. Anon. 1996. Economic Survey: 1995-96. Printing Corporation of Pakistan Press, Islamabad, Pakistan.
6. Anon. 1996. Banking on Biodiversity.ICIMOD - Nepal.
7. Anon. 1995. Statistical Yearbook for Asia and the Pacific. United Nations Organization.
8. Anon. 1995. Land Cover Assessment and Monitoring. Volume 1-A. UNEP Environment Assessment Programme for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok.
9. Anon. World Resources. 1996. World Resources Institute, 1709, New York Ave., N.W., Washington DC, 20006, USA.
10. Haack, Barry; Richard English. 1996. National Landcover Mapping by Remote Sensing.
11. Khan F. Karim. 1991. A Geography of Pakistan. Oxford University Press, Karachi, Pakistan.
12. McKendry et all. 1992. Exploration in GIS Technology. Vol. 2. UNITAR European Office, Geneva, Switzerland.
13. Shaw Isobel. 1996. Odyssey Illustrated Guide to PAKISTAN.
14. Siddiqui, K.M. 1996. Wood Energy in the National Energy Perspective. In Proceedings of the National Training Workshop on Fuelwood Trade in Pakistan. Pakistan Forest Institute, Peshawar.
15. Sthapit, K.M. and R. Bhattarai. 1989. Agro-climatic Classification System for Nepal. HMGN/UNDP/FAO.
16. Trapp Hubert. 1995. Application of GIS for Planning Agricultural Development in Gorkha District. MENRIS/ICIMOD - Nepal.