The Regional Support Component assists with intergovernmental fora
at sub-regional levels and priority projects at the national level.
The focuses of the component are on partnerships with the environmental
community, implementation of priority initiatives at the sub-regional
and national levels, and on mobilization of resources for the development
of priority projects. The key functions include:
- Sub-regional Cooperation: Support for intergovernmental bodies
in addressing sub-regional and transboundary environmental issues;
maintain close working relations with sub-regional bodies, ministries
and focal points; partnerships and resource mobilization;
- Technical support: Environmental intelligence gathering; substantive
inputs to policy/strategy documents; collecting and analyzing
information on regional/sub-regional environmental issues; advice
on emerging environmental issues; identification of opportunities
for United Nations Environment (UNEP) Medium Term Strategy implementation;
logistical support for seminars/workshops; assist in negotiations:
Sub-regional Environmental Policy Dialogue (SEPD), Governing Council/Global
Ministerial Environment Forum (GC/GMEF), etc.; and
- Priority projects: Coordinate and implement specific national
and sub-regional level projects (Democratic People's Republic
of Korea (DPRK) Trust Fund, Korea Energy Management Corporation
RRC.AP is host to numerous intergovernmental and technical support
networks, such as Acid Deposition Monitoring Network for East Asia
(EANET), the Malé Declaration on Control and Prevention of
Air Pollution and its Likely Transboundary Effects for South Asia
(Malé Declaration), Atmospheric Brown Cloud (ABC), and the
Joint Forum on Atmospheric Environment in Asia and the Pacific (Joint
Forum). The inherent strength of RRCAP lies on atmospheric issues
and air pollution, with landmark projects such as ABC and EANET.
The joint UNEP-WHO secretariat for the Regional Forum on Environment
and Health is serviced by RRC.AP. The Secretariat for the Collaborative
Action Network (CAN) is at RRC.AP.The key functions include:
- Atmospheric Issues:
- EANET is an intergovernmental mechanism dealing with acid
deposition issues and problems in East Asia;
- Malé Declaration is an intergovernmental agreement
tackling transboundary air pollution in South Asia;
- ABC is a regional initiative integrating science, impact
assessment, regional capacity building and policy making to
address emerging regional climate change issues, such as Black
Carbon, and issues related to increasing air pollution.
- Joint Forum is designed to facilitate closer cooperation
among regional air pollution networks in Asia.
- Regional Forum on Environment and Health in South-East and
East Asian Countries. The Regional Forum promotes a coordinated
intervention at national to regional levels for reduction of adverse
impacts of environmental deterioration on human health in 14 member
countries in Asia.
- Sustainable Development Networks (SDNs): National Councils for
SD and Multi-stakeholder networks to mainstream environment in
decision making processes.
- SDplanNET is supported by IGES and UNEP, which promotes monitoring
and research on SD networking and implementation in Asia.
- Collaborative Action Network (CAN). This facilitates and promotes
partnerships of more than 35 members consisting of inter-governmental
bodies; institutions engaged in the broad area of environment
including GEO Collaborating Centres; Development Partners and
relevant UN agencies.
The Knowledge Support Component aims to provide updated data, information
and knowledge on the environment to the environment community. This
includes use of states-of-the-art technologies to assist with effective
decision-making, planning and action for improved environment conservation
and management.The key functions are:
- CC Adaptation Knowledge Platform for Asia: Three main objectives,
1) new knowledge creation, 2) bridging knowledge for policy-making
and 3) knowledge dissemination and practitioners networking. It
backstops the Regional Hub functions for the Asia Pacific Adaptation
Network, in partnership with IGES.
- Knowledge Hubs/Data Center: Hosting a subset of UNEPs
GEO global data for the Asia and the Pacific region, ( geodata.rrcap.unep.org)
Environment Knowledge Hub (eKH - www.ekh.unep.org), 3R Knowledge
hub (3RKH www.3rkh.net); Providing Satellite Imageries
and GIS data to the environment community.
- ICT Services: Back-office services for environment community,
partners and staff of RRC.AP. This includes Email service, managing
servers (Digital-Asia Server, ABC Server), hosting specific websites,
Video-conferencing/Teleconferencing services, assisting in establishing
the Environmental Database System (EDS) for partners (DEQP of
Thailand, NEPA in Afghanistan).
Institutional Support Component as one of the four components of
AIT/UNEP RRC.AP is dealing with the cross-cutting issues of the
Center, its strategy, profile, quality assurance, communications,
management (admin-finance, human resources), trainings, as well
as implementation of the special initiatives in Asia and the Pacific
region to support delivery of UNEP MTS and AIT Strategy 2013. The
functions include: internal affairs of the RRC.AP, its team building
activity, strategic development of the partnership and liaison with
partners, including resource mobilization strategy and Secretariat
support for Collaborative Action Network (CAN) and Regional Advisory
group.Key Functions include:
- Ensure Partnerships with AIT (MoU), CAN (Secretariat), Key
- Strategic Directions and Governance : organize Advisory Committee,
deliver Strategy, RRC.AP Retreats
- Human Resource (HR) Management: Performance Appraisal Forms,
Trainings to Staff, Social Committee
- Finance and Resource Mobilization Committee
- Communications and Outreach: delivery of special events (like
World Environment Day), Bulletin, Video, Briefs
- Facilities Management and Administration: low carbon office
facilities and leading by example.
- Special Initiatives: discussion papers (Happiness Beyond GDP),
global workshops (Compliance Assistance Program of UNEP: industry
and media round table), Leadership Program of Environment and
Development (PR China-Tongji, RK-Astana).