Celebrating three decades of service to Asia and the Pacific, RRC.AP is organizing a series of workshop, seminars, and movie nights among others to raise awareness on the environment. The series which will run from April to September 2019 aims to inspire and provoke conversations between stakeholders on pertinent issues on air pollution, climate change, and waste management which we all face today as individuals and as a society. All activities are absolutely free to the public. We encourage you to bring your friends and colleagues along for the events.
For the month of May 2019, we are organizing an awareness raising workshop on plastic waste reduction to prevent marine litter. The workshop promises an interactive, practical, solution-oriented session on "Communities participation in reducing marine plastic litter" as part of its 30th anniversary celebration.
Globally, marine plastic debris presents significant challenges and potential health risks to humans and marine habitats through the ingestion of plastic fragments and attached toxins by fish, seabirds and marine mammals. Over 80 per cent of marine plastic litter comes from land-based sources, making plastic the most common type of marine litter. 75 per cent of the leakages that comes from land-based sources originates from uncollected waste, while the remaining 25 per cent leaks from within the waste management system itself.
It is estimated that 95 per cent of plastic in the oceans is transported by 10 major rivers, eight of which are in Asia, and that Asian countries with fast growing markets and underdeveloped waste management systems – including China, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Viet Nam – may be responsible for as much as 60 per cent of plastic waste leakage. The workshop aims to highlight the collective responsibilities of consumer communities in contributing to reduce marine plastic litter.
Attendance for this event is free of charge. You may register your participation to enable us to make better logistics.